Saturday, October 10, 2009

Follower of the Crowd or A Trendsetter?


Let me begin with a question to all of you out there, just think about it, and see how practical it is. If given the option of either being a trendsetter or a follower of the crowd, what would you choose?

The choice is upto you, but I'm quite sure most of you would've chosen to be a trendsetter. Everyone likes to be different and also be appreciated. When someone looks upto you, you'll feel great!!! But how practical is it to be a trendsetter? Especially our society (in particular my society, with people who like being typical and can't stand changes!!!) ...being a trendsetter attracts all the eyes on you and criticism and what not!!!! So, most people, even though they aspire to become a trend-setter, they tend to be a follower of the crowd. Just do what the society expects me to do and then I need not hear people's comments!

But are you really happy? Trying to live the way people expect you to live? Come on, give me a break!! People themselves have no idea what they want in life, what will you do trying to satisfy them. And even if you manage to satisfy some, you won't be able to satisfy everyone....'coz each one has different tastes. Am I telling you to be a trendsetter? No! Then am I advising you to be a follower of the crowd? No! Just be YOURSELF!!!

Being yourself is the toughest thing in life.....'coz we have our own dilemmas regarding how to be ourself. By being yourself, you bring out your individuality and tend to appreciate people for what they are, rather than who they are. Another important aspect while being yourself is that you need people around you who helps you be yourself, in which case not all are lucky!

I've lived my life so far my way. I've lived my beliefs and I've never tried to hide what I am, even though I don't necessarily open up to everyone. Being honest with myself has always given me satisfaction and peace of mind. Supportive people around me are one of my biggest strengths. I don't know if it is because of my personality or individuality, I've had people (whom I assumed to be typical) support me on the untypical things I do and telling me to go forward with my views. Alhamdulillah.

I've never tried to be a trendsetter, 'coz I don't like to be the center of attraction and I'm a human being, I have my own flaws and I hate being a follower of the crowd as well. I just like to be myself, stay true to myself, live on my whims and well, I can't hurt people around me who care for me and who have always supported me. My parents, my siblings, my friends, my extended family members.......I've always had someone or the other support me. Alhamdulillah.

I'm just hoping that things go on the same, even when seasons change.......hoping for the best....

7 comments:

  1. Tears of happiness or ....... ?

    You know I've been an optimist all the way....n u know how I live for the moment....n I know we will miss each other....but u know our bond is stronger than what we think...thatz y we sync quite a lot....

    Letz just hope for the best...kampaiii....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears of everything!!
    This is one idea that we both totally share without a difference anywhere...
    kampaii....
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all are trend setters in our own ways, jus' that sometimes what trends we set go un-noticed.
    For Ex : I could see you ve been blogging since 2007 and I also started blogging early 2007. In those days hardly anyone used to blog. But people like Amitab Bachan, Amir Khan who have started blogging recently are more seen as trendsetters and hog all the limelight in blogging.
    Gross Injustice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi..salaam..well written here...Yes,always go with what you think is right..make sure it is the Right one!

    Just came across here..happy blogging!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Fazal...i agree that we are trend setters in our own way...but if u talk abt film stars, well, all I can say is people like to imitate them!!!

    @Zayida...w/salaam...thnx for the comment...at the end of the day, all that matters is whether you are satisfied with ur actions.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet heart, I am just getting to know you through your words..It's like I am getting to know a whole new Safa..As for being trendsetters and followers, you got that one right..Try being a little different, and see the smirks and hushed sarcasms..And god forbid if you are brilliant, then you become an outcast by default..I society thrives on mediocrity and as long as you are that, people love you! And you know Saf, that is one thing I truly admire about you, you never sell yourself short for anyone..Take care and never change..

    ReplyDelete