Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Virtual Realm


I've been thinking about all the social networking sites and how we maintain the friends and connections out there and am quite reluctant to really go out and speak to the person when I come face to face.

Yes...this happened to me recently. There's this person on my friend's list in a social networking site and well, 2 weeks ago, she was standing some distance away from me. I wanted to go tell her 'Hi', but then I wondered if she would remember me, 'coz the last time we met was maybe 6 years back and she wouldn't really recognize me or so I thought. Maybe a smile wouldn't have hurt, but well, she wasn't looking in my direction.

That is my nature. Some might portray it as arrogance, but I'm quite reluctant to go and say a 'Hi' or even smile if I 'think' that the person might not know me, even if I know the person!!

Ironically I was reading this article in the In-flight magazine last week, 'Smileys or Smile?' and I couldn't help but reflect on myself, a social animal on the social networking sites, but very selective in real life!!! Well, this is a Virtual Realm....an Illusion.....and my very own Utopia. I present here what I want and it could just be a deception!!! Thatz one of the reasons I don't add people whom I haven't met at least once personally on any of the social networking sites, 'coz I don't want to give a false impression n neither do I want to deceive.

Sorry my dear friend(s)......for not coming to you to say a 'Hi'!! It so happened during last year that I went and told a 'Hi' to one of my classmates from high school and she didn't recognize me, that has made me even more reluctant to open myself up....in reality!

3 comments:

  1. Impressive.. Na.. Not your blog, my wake up call.. I didn know i could wake up a blogger so easily ;)

    And coming to reflect your blog, ya.. to take this example itself, i dont think I would ve EVER dared wake you up in real life.. What if you failed to recognize me.. ;)
    Thanks to this virtual world..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wouldn't fail to recognize u since u have ur photos floating around. But you would never recognize me now....n since you won't be showing any signs of recognition, I wouldn't come n talk to you either. LOL...

    Ironically, I ws just thinking abt our childhood days though...it ws fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very obvious rite. While you re all covered in Purdha, there is absolutely no way that I would recognize you. So dont blame me :)

    Hehe..Yaa... Childhood days coming to think of all the dumb games we used to play..ummm.. always special. In fact every time we look through the old photo albums at home, get to re-visit our childhood days. We sure have a great collection of Sidfa's photos...

    ReplyDelete