Friday, June 19, 2009

A Simple Gesture


Ever thought how much your presence could matter to anyone? Just being there for them, in their happy or sad moment, even if you don't utter a word, makes a difference for them.

When did I suddenly realize this? Well, I have been questioning myself whether my presence really mattered to some people (whom I considered dear), when we had our cultural difference and language as a barrier. In times of happiness or sadness, I felt I never really told them what I really wanted to tell, but I was always hoping my heart would reach them, just by my gesture, just with my eyes......

Last week was quite interesting. Lots of exciting things, along with a sad news. One of my colleague's husband passed away. She didn't mingle with me that much, but when we did interact, she was quite warm with me. Others were trying to warn me not to get on her bad side. But, for some reason we hit along very well. The news of her husband's death was quite sudden for me, 'coz I usually don't dwell into personal matters of my colleagues. So the ladies in our office went to her house to offer her our condoloscence. Well, when we did get there, it reminded me of another incident this year, when one of my friend's mother had passed away. She lost her father 2 years back and it was quite a shock for us. I never know what to do or say in such situations. I just went to their places. In both the cases, I just went to them, gave them a hug.....well, I couldn't quite stand it, even though I always try to put on a brave front trying to keep my emotions within. I know they are sad and I'm supposed to console them, but how? I just gave them a hug......squeezed their hand....prayed for them. Oh Allah, I know that when we are born in this world, we will surely die. Give them the strength to bear the loss. Everything is from You and to You we shall return.

And when I moved aside, I realized, maybe my gesture did reach them. But, I feel, somewhere deep within, that our just being there for them could lessen their burden. Is it only shallow words that matter or true feelings from within our hearts? I always hope that my gesture will reach them.......no matter who they are.....I'm there for them only because they matter to me......Even if I don't say a word.....I really mean it!!!!

2 comments:

  1. well this one did bring tears from my eyes..and as u hav written i also feel the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know...everybody does...thatz y i like meeting ppl...u can actually tell how they feel even without their telling u.....

    ReplyDelete