Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ramadan in the Holy City


2 years, i.e. in 2004 and 2006, I've been in the Holy city of Makkah during the last week of Ramadan. And as ramadan is approaching, I feel drawn to that city again. I'm travelling tomorrow, to another city, which is quite the opposite of Makkah Mukarramah.....I'm not really very enthusiatic about it. I just feel the the piety and tranquility of Makkah and Madina hitting me.

I should say that I am quite lucky to have been able to go there thrice. The experience was enthralling. Itz just like, you live, but you don't care about food. All you would like to do is pray and to be good to others around you. All the people around you are just like you. Everyone is equal. Everyone has an equal opportunity to pray to God. To break the fast, you get dates and zam zam water, just have them and your thirst will be quenched, you feel refreshed. You get to pray so many times, but you never get tired. I don't know if it is the effect of Ramadan or if it is the effect of the city. But, even if you don't eat anything, you don't feel hunger, and even if you keep walking, you never get tired.

I just loved my experience there during Ramadan and if anyone has the time and ability to go to Makkah and Madina, I would highly recommend you to do so, especially in the Holy month, when the city is bustling with people and prayers. Just imagine the multitude of thawab (reward) you get in the city. And the peace of mind you experience there is another priceless thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment